Friday, February 1, 2013

Working With My Hands

I haven't used my sewing machine in over two weeks! This must be a record. The only other time I can think of was right after I had my son. It is all set up on my desk yet it is not beckoning me right now. I think there is so much going on with the move and trying to arrange this duplex in a way that feels homey, there is no urge to fire it up and make noise. We have different flooring and it is spacier, so things echo really badly. No more naptime sewing until we get some throw rugs or wall hangings or something. It would definitely wake up the little one to be chugging away on my Singer.

I need to finish the 2nd kitchen chair pad still. I have one done and in place, but the other is in patchwork pieces ready to be sewn and quilted. This always happens when I have to do two of something! I lose steam after the first one gets finished! Then I want to go on to a new inspiring project, and end up forgetting all about past commitments. :)


Right now I am in the middle of an inspiring embroidery/sewing project. I received the book "Little Stitches" by Aneela Hoey for Christmas (amazon card) and have been perusing the adorable patterns she has in there. They are very fun and whimsical, just the way I like.
prettybyhand.com
I picked out one project that is a patchwork pillow cover and did an apple tree design on it using the iron-on templates included in the book (bonus! having these make embroidery soo much easier and faster). Then I went into my stash and found some matching fabrics that I could use for patchwork. It will be a 14"x14" pillow in the end. I have to go to JoAnn's and pick up a pillow form but should be able to do that for only $3-4. I am slating that purchase for when I get our tax return!! I am trying to be better about using what I have but sometimes weird things come up like needing a pillow! For now I will just work on getting the whole cover completed without going on to another project...

Some other things I have been making without the machine are bean bags for my son. They have to be one of the quickest, easiest sewing projects out there. I am making them in different sizes so he can grab them with his little hands and still be able to use them for many years. Sewing them by hand can be very relaxing and rewarding and is a great way to ease your mind before you go to bed. There is something calming about doing it. I am making them about 5x5" squares or smaller rectangles. Here's a good tutorial if anyone is interested.

That's about it from here...
Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment

Review of S.O.T.A.K. Two in One Pouch

I decided to try out a new bag pattern designer named, SotakCo , and I love her stuff. She is from the Netherlands and has a great eye for d...