Tuesday, September 23, 2014

What's Happening for the Rest of 2014


Happy Fall, y’all!! I can’t believe it is already here. Here in Virginia, the weather was mild all summer, so there wasn’t a stark contrast between the seasons like usual. I am excited to pull out sweaters and scarves and indulge in all the fall-related festivities that go along with the season.

Announcement:
A new change going on in my crafting life is that I have decided to end my venture with the brick-and-mortar shop, Pastiche at Main, as the availability of my time is not what I thought it would be when I began. Just a few days after signing the shop contract I was offered a full-time job at a nearby university, which I could not pass up. I tried to handle sewing and selling as well as the Mon-Fri, 9-5 type job with two little ones at home and a husband who works evenings, and I knew I just couldn’t produce the results I needed with the lack of time and energy to devote to the craft. But, it was nice to see what it was like selling at a real store and being a part of a very unique community of crafters. My items will be in Pastiche through the end of September (which is coming up very soon!), and then I will take what is left to the craft shows I have decided to attend this year.

Next step:
The “Frolic in Forest” Fall Bazaar & Fundraiser in Forest, Va on Nov. 22nd. I hope to spend what time I DO have between now and then crafting little gifty items that do not take as long as bags do (although I am sure I will want to throw some of those in there, as well—can’t help it!). On my to-make list are things such as coffee cozies, mug rugs, fabric-covered notepads, keychains, tea
wallets, tissue cozies, checkbook covers, ornaments, bookmarks, zip pouches, embroidered items, etc. As you can see, I have a lot of ideas! I have not done a craft fair since 2009, so I am excited to set up a table,be creative, and see what happens!

After that:
My brother and sister-in-law have invited me to sell (long-distance) at their community craft fair in Ossining, NY in December. I am sending up a small collection bags and items that will hopefully do well there.

For the future:
I am hoping that these 2 craft fairs will help me use up at least *some* of my fabric hoard and materials from Sparrow & Joy, and then I am pondering closing up shop officially on Jan. 1st, 2015 unless things change job-wise and schedule-wise. My sewing business ventures have been a bit rocky over the past few years, and I am praying on what is the best avenue to take for my family. It is possible that this is not the best time in my life to sew and sell, and I am ready to accept that. 

I am tiring a bit of the bag-making and would love, if I ever have the time, to expand into different types of art & craft that might inspire me into the original state of excitement that creating with fabric first held for me. I have been feeling a bit stale lately, and I miss that creative freedom I once felt.

I want to thank all my customers for helping me make my creative dreams come alive and for your support of the work I create.

I will keep you updated through FB or this blog on what is going on with my Etsy store.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review of S.O.T.A.K. Two in One Pouch

I decided to try out a new bag pattern designer named, SotakCo , and I love her stuff. She is from the Netherlands and has a great eye for d...